Wednesday, January 4, 2012

cold weather is perfect for chili

Happy Wednesday, whooop! So, once this horrific cold weather moved in this week, I figured it's time to make the most perfect cold weather meal, chili.  My mom has a great recipe that we use all the time, but I thought I would give a recipe that I found on Pinterest a try because it looked so good.  I was planning on popping it in the crock pot this morning to have tonight with Kev while watching our favorite show, Revenge, but we're moving a couch from my parent's house into my apartment tonight and got a dinner offer from his parents, so I figured I would put the chili on hold until this weekend.  There's just something about cold weather and chili, you can't go wrong!  Here's the recipe in case you're interested in branching out like me. 

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
¾ cup onion (diced)
¾ cup celery (diced)
¾ cup green bell pepper (diced)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
2 (10.7 ounce) cans tomato puree
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (drained)
½ tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon dried basil
¾ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or more, to taste)

Step 1: In a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef and cook until evenly browned. Chop up with a metal spatula while browning. Drain any excess grease.
Step 2: Place beef into the slow cooker. Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, tomato puree and kidney beans. Season with chili powder, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
Step 3: Place cover onto the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.  (Makes 8 Servings)
Garnishing with chives, shredded cheese or sour cream is always delish, too.  Happy cooking...stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment